- What does loaded gun mean?
- What does it mean son of a gun?
- Why do they say the whole 9 yards?
- What does the idiom stuffed to the gills mean?
- What is a gunnel on a boat?
- Is Son of a Gun true story?
- What does dressed to the nines mean?
- What does a dime a dozen mean?
- Can you tell if a gun is loaded?
- What does load mean slang?
- What constitutes an unloaded gun?
- Where did the term son of ab * * * * come from?
- Where does the saying full as a gun come from?
- What does packed to the gunnels mean?
- What does full to the brim mean?
- What does Gun mean?
- What is a kit and kaboodle?
- What is the whole 9?
What does loaded gun mean?
It is considered loaded if a round is in the chamber, or if any ammunition is in a magazine inside the firearm.
If the propellant or a projectile is in the firearm, including any internal magazine, the firearm is also considered loaded.
This includes blackpowder firearms, and pellet or BB guns, etc..
What does it mean son of a gun?
Son of a gun is an exclamation in American and British English. It can be used encouragingly or to compliment, as in “You son of a gun, you did it!”
Why do they say the whole 9 yards?
Where does the expression ”the whole nine yards” come from? The bullets for the machine guns used in American combat planes of WW2 and since were in chains twenty-seven feet in length. Thus if a pilot was able to fire all his bullets off at one target he was said to have given his adversary ‘the full nine yards’.
What does the idiom stuffed to the gills mean?
used in expressions to mean completely full: By the time the fourth course was served, I was stuffed to the gills. The restaurant was packed to the gills. Linguistics: intensifying expressions. a heck of a sth/sb idiom.
What is a gunnel on a boat?
16. Gunwale – Also known as gunnel, this is the outermost top edge of a boat hull, usually where the deck and hull come together. 17.
Is Son of a Gun true story?
‘Son of a Gun’, the debut feature of Pemberton-born director Julius Avery is hitting cinemas this week. The film is a fast-paced crime thriller starring Ewan McGregor, and is set mostly in Western Australia. … Avery said the story is inspired by events from his own life.
What does dressed to the nines mean?
“To the nines” is an English idiom meaning “to perfection” or “to the highest degree” or to dress “buoyantly and high class”. In modern English usage, the phrase most commonly appears as “dressed to the nines” or “dressed up to the nines”.
What does a dime a dozen mean?
So plentiful as to be valueless. For example, Don’t bother to buy one of these—they’re a dime a dozen. The dime was declared the American ten-cent coin in 1786 by the Continental Congress. [
Can you tell if a gun is loaded?
You cannot tell if a gun is unloaded while it’s pointing at you. If a gun is pointing at you, always assume that it’s loaded. If a gun is not open, with the inside of the chamber clearly visible to you, always assume that it’s loaded whether it’s pointing at you or not. You can if the gun in question is a revolver.
What does load mean slang?
3a : something that weighs down the mind or spirits took a load off her mind. b : a burdensome or laborious responsibility always carried his share of the load. 4 slang : an intoxicating amount of liquor drunk. 5 : a large quantity : lot —usually used in pluralThe boy had loads of toys. 6a : a charge for a firearm.
What constitutes an unloaded gun?
(18) “Unloaded” means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.
Where did the term son of ab * * * * come from?
The 19th-century British racehorse Filho da Puta took its name from ‘Son of a bitch’ in Portuguese. The Curtiss SB2C, a World War 2 U.S. Navy dive bomber, was called “Son-of-a-Bitch 2nd Class” by some of its pilots and crewmen.
Where does the saying full as a gun come from?
1. The phrase originated as ‘son of a military man’ (that is, a gun). The most commonly repeated version in this strand is that the British Navy used to allow women to live on naval ships. Any child born on board who had uncertain paternity would be listed in the ship’s log as ‘son of a gun’.
What does packed to the gunnels mean?
Prepositional phrase Full to the brim. We were loaded down to the gunnels with luggage. The room was packed to the gunnels with reporters.
What does full to the brim mean?
full as possibleSEE SYNONYMS FOR filled to the brim ON THESAURUS.COM. As full as possible; also, completely satisfied. For example, We’re filled to the brim with excitement. This expression transfers the idea of a container filled to the very top.
What does Gun mean?
1a : a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory. b : a portable firearm (such as a rifle or handgun) c : a device that throws a projectile. 2a : a discharge of a gun especially as a salute or signal.
What is a kit and kaboodle?
(US, Canada, Australia, idiomatic) Everything entirely, the whole lot.
What is the whole 9?
Founded in 2009 by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, the authors of the book It Starts with Food, the Whole9 is a community focused on health, fitness, balance and sanity, all built on a foundation of real food and healthy nutritional habits.